Wednesday, July 10, 2013

So you say

For any New Zealander interested in the visual arts the words I AM will always belong to Colin McCahon. Off-shore this ownership is not so certain. Pharrell Williams who owns the company I Am Other Entertainment has taken recording artist will.i.am of the Black Eyed Peas to court to try and stop him using the I am phrase. The battle of the Williams (does McCahon’s son William know he his father's I AM lodged in his first name one wonders?) rests on the Peas William inserting periods to create the name will.i.am. If the Entertainment Williams wins this battle (I Am Other Entertainment, LLC v. William Adams, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, No. 13-4547) a quick dive into Google will find him plenty of other I AMs to battle waiting in the wings.
Image: the first 16 I AM hits off Google images