Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Worth repeating


Peter Peryer’s site is always worth a visit. He has just put up a great selection of rabbit photos he has taken over the years - check it out. We asked Peter for his view on the multiple idea, here is his reply.

The size of multiples is a complex issue I find. We have Ansel Adams who printed Moonrise Over Hernandez (incidentally taken on the day I was born) on demand and reaching something like 800 + copies. Demonstrating I think that there is a relationship between what people will pay for a work and its popularity. Somehow a works fame generates ongoing sales.

The biggest edition I ever made was Mt Taranaki. There I decided, upon the basis of feedback from some respondents that I was onto a runner. Consequently I made it an attractive price ($1000) and printed 50. Now after 5 years I have 4 left and the last 2 or 3 have sold for $2,500.

The smallest edition that I’ve made is Apple Tree. It was an edition of 5.That was a mistake. It sold out within a month.

Generally I make editions of either 10 or 15. Lately I’ve been finding that 10 doesn’t quite give me enough latitude. Having an extra 5 up my sleeve is very satisfying e.g. ten Tecomanthes have sold. I wouldn’t like to not have any more. They are the cream. Monarch had only 10 in the edition. That too was a mistake.

Another question that I have to ask myself is does it really make any difference to the client whether or not there are, say, 10 or 15. Perhaps smaller editions put more pressure on the client, editions such as 2 or 3 I mean, but for this to work the prices asked have to be really solid, of an order that just can’t be reached in NZ.

Peter's photograph, reproduced at the top of this post is: After Rembrandt 1995