Tuesday, June 21, 2011

One day in the director’s office

Curator: I think I’ve come up with a great idea for a theme show.
Director: Excellent. And you're sure it will appeal to all ages? Children as well as their parents?
Curator: Absolutely. It allows us to examine in an entertaining yet thoughtful manner a subject that is central to the human experience.
Director: OK, don’t keep me on tenterhooks. What is it?
Curator: Cannibalism.
Director: Cannibalism … you mean people eating each other?
Curator: To be fair it is usually one person eating another person.
Director: Of course, of course. Cannibalism... hmm.
Public Programmes: We could do a great film programme - Soylent Green, Silence of the Lambs, Invasion of the Body Snatchers....
Shop manager: And I have a drop-dead idea for a t-shirt. “Eat your children. At least you know where the meat comes from”.
Junior curator: We could do cooking demonstrations… fish fingers.
Curator: I’m not sure eating fish fingers counts as real cannibalism …
Junior Curator: Ok, ok... how about Gingerbread men then? with one arm bitten off?
Director. Cannibalism. I like it. Let’s do it.